For 35 years, the Wichita Adult Literacy Council, Inc. (WALC) has served thousands of adult individuals in our community who are in need of literacy skills. Our volunteer tutors are required to attend a nine hour training course. We offer training twice each year. We also have satellite literacy councils under the WALC umbrella in Baylor, Hardeman and Montague counties. WALC offers ESL classes through Region 9 Adult Education at the Galaxy site. We also teach Financial Literacy classes to workforce clients. We offer a health literacy class in the afternoons at the Galaxy Center.
Our clients include adult learners who may need to:
- acquire a driver’s license
- get a job, keep a job, or advance in a job
- help their children with homework or read to them
- pass a safety test at work
- learn to speak the English language
- gain citizenship
- get into college
- obtain a High School Equivalency certificate
- … just be able to read for the first time!